Oilheat has a bright green future, and Bioheat® fuel plays an important role.
Bioheat® fuel - heating oil blended with biodegradable organic materials such as soybean oil - is one of the "hottest" things happening in home comfort. Bioheat® fuel is not only kind to Mother Earth; it's kind to heating systems, too.
Bioheat® Fuel Characteristics:
- It is extremely clean burning.
- It has the highest Btu content of any alternative fuel.
- Domestically produced, soy-based Bioheat® fuel helps to support our nation’s farmers and reduce our dependence on foreign oil.
- Biodiesel production supports $16.8 billion in total economic impact, more than 62,000 jobs and $2.6 billion in wages paid.
Bioheat® Fuel Benefits for Homeowners:
- Bioheat® fuel produces the same satisfying heat as "regular oil."
- According to studies, Bioheat® fuel performs just as well as, if not better than, conventional heating oil.
- It lubricates your heating system.
- You don't have to make any modifications to your burner or tank.
- You don't have to buy any new equipment.
- You don't have to change your budget plan, payment plan, service contract or warranties.
- Performance standards for Bioheat® fuel blends to B20 have been approved by ASTM International, an organization which sets industry standards for fuels and lubricants.
Wondering what makes up Bioheat® fuel?
These everyday products of nature can be used to produce the alternative environment-friendly fuel:
|Castor Bean||Macadamia Nut||Safflower|
|Cotton||Palm||Tung Oil Tree|
Testing conducted by the National Oilheat Research Alliance (NORA) found that a Bioheat® fuel blend of 80 percent low sulfur heating oil and 20 percent biodiesel (B20) reduced sulfur oxide emissions by as much as 80 percent or more. Nitrogen oxide emissions were lowered by about 20 percent. In addition, carbon dioxide emissions can be lowered by 20 percent.
If everyone using heating oil used a B5 blend (5 percent biodiesel/95 percent heating oil), 400 million gallons of regular heating oil could be conserved. This would be a big step towards conserving oil and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
All across the country, cities and states are taking the initiative to ensure their communities and their families can breathe easier, by mandating the use of low or ultra-low sulfur heating oil and/or the use of a Bioheat® fuel. Click here to see if there are Bioheat® fuel or low sulfur mandates in your neighborhood.
Several states offer tax credits and incentives for residents using renewable fuels and/or purchasing high efficiency heating equipment. Speak to your local Bioheat® fuel provider for more information.
Learn more about Renewable Bioheat